The Expert Interview
Before you interview your expert by either phone, email, or in
person, here are a few Do's and Don'ts to consider:
- DO find out a little about the person and mention it
when you first contact him or her.
"I was looking at your website and I really liked the
section on . . ."
"My mother said you were a real expert in . . ."
- DO introduce yourself (first and last name) and explain
- DO use your very best manners; if meeting in person,
dress appropriately (i.e., if you're interviewing a pig farmer,
don't show up in a suit!) Use good grammar and if you're emailing,
be sure to spell-check and have Ms. Ford check your grammar before
- DON'T call after 9:00 p.m. or before 9:00 a.m. Don't
show up at someone's office without calling first.
- DO have a list of questions ready, but don't insist
on getting answers to all of them if the interviewee offers other
information that's just as interesting and pertinent.